Hello everybody! I am back to share another classic fall project with y’all. Blazers are such a great transitional piece and as it gets colder, it is time to make one. I had a couple of challenges during this project and I will be sharing those, along with some tips to consider if planning a similar project.
This houndstooth fabric was so gorgeous and soft when I received it, I just wanted to hug it all day. It is 80% Polyester, 18% Viscose, and 2% Spandex. Great for flowy dresses, tops, and skirts. However, it was much more lightweight than I expected, which was my first little challenge. I was initially planning to use it to make View A coat of Burda 6463 but had to slightly change those plans. For the lining, I used black polyester.
This pattern is features a semi-fitted coat (View A with pockets) and jacket (View B with welt pockets). With View A not feasible due to the weight of my chosen fabric, I decided to make a blazer instead which seemed more appropriate. I used the length from View B but the pockets from View A. There were 15 pieces for this pattern which is quite a lot in my opinion, especially for a semi fitted jacket.
The instructions were very clear however, it involved a lot of hand sewing in the installment of the lining. Anyone who knows me knows i like to keep hand sewing to a minimum. This is mainly because I do not think my hand sewing skills give my projects the clean finish I desire so it was another fun challenge for me. Next time, I will use a different method to insert the lining to reduce the amount of hand sewing.
Overall, it was worth it in the end but I am not entirely sure I will be making this specific pattern again. Below are some helpful things to consider:
I styled my blazer with a turtleneck top I made and a pair of jeans. I hope you enjoyed my classic blazer as much as I did!
Sylvia from The Ravel Out