Long, insulated, hooded and water repellent – that’s what we were looking for in a fall raincoat. Fabricville came to the rescue with an excellent proposition for fabric – pattern combination. It was dark red soft shell and Burda 6596, with red separating zipper. Other notions included Gutermann 420 dark red thread and Unique double fold bias 6mm tape in dark red.
I started the project uncertain I could bring it to a successful completion. Why? Because I did not work with soft shell fabric before, I was not sure my sewing machine could handle the thickness of several layers of the fabric, and the changes I hoped to make to the hood pattern were intimidating.
Alas, my fears were unsubstantiated! Soft shell is a dream to work with: it’s stable, does not fray and slides smoothly in the machine. I also found out that it can be pressed. The changes to the hood pattern were easy to introduce. I just trimmed about 3cm from the top of the hood and cut a 10cm (5cm x 2) band from the back. It created a sportier-looking hood.
As for other pattern adjustments, I lengthened the body of the coat about 15cm and shortened the sleeves by 4cm. Other than that – just followed the pattern instructions.
Since I decided to make the coat without lining, I chose to finish the seams with a bias tape. Without a specialty presser foot, it is a bit of hassle to sew on cleanly. But the result is worth it, producing a cleverly finished unlined interior.